Seeing Ghosts by James Garcia Jr.


⇧ switch to KingsRiverLife.com for the full issue ⇧
Marilyn Meredith


Check out details on how to win a copy of this book at the end of this review.

Having read Garcia’s vampire mysteries I wasn’t sure what to expect with his latest book. After all, Seeing Ghosts is a most intriguing title. I love stories about ghosts, haunted houses and have even written about them myself; so I began reading with great expectations. And I wasn’t disappointed. If I were to give Seeing Ghosts a label, I’d call it an unusual romance with a big dose of scary.

The hero, Paul, is still mourning the loss of his pregnant wife when he learns he and his cousin have inherited a house from an Aunt Flora neither of them can remember. The two men take a road trip to see the house. The woman, Anne, who shows it to them, has an uncanny resemblance to Paul’s dead wife. This is most unsettling for him.

Paul decides to stay at the house to learn more about it. He and his cousin buy a week’s provisions and Paul is left behind—without transportation. It isn’t long before he learns that he is surrounded by ghosts that aren’t the least bit friendly.


Image source: James Garcia Jr.

To complicate things, he has visits from a strange preacher who doesn’t want to come inside but does have some knowledge of Aunt Flora. Other visitors are Anne and her son. When two of Anne’s tires are mysteriously flattened, she and her son must stay the night with Paul in the house.

I don’t want to say any more so as not to give any spoilers—except for this, the ghostly appearances escalate and things not only become frightening but also dangerous.

Seeing Ghosts was a page turner for sure, I couldn’t wait to see what was going to happen next and how everything would be resolved.

To enter to win an e-book copy of Seeing Ghosts, simply email KRL at krlcontests@gmail[dot]com by replacing the [dot] with a period, and with the subject line “Ghosts”, or comment on this article. A winner will be chosen June 15, 2013. U.S. residents only.

Marilyn Meredith is a Springville, CA mystery author and an ongoing contributor to our Mystery section section. Be sure to visit her website; fictionforyou.com




Comments

  1. Hmmm, a ghost book! I usually don't read novels involving ghosts - scary or not, ghosts creep me out! But you said it's a page-turner! That's good to hear. Perhaps I shall give it a shot! I'm going to share this on my blog :)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a winner
    Lorie Ham, KRL Publisher

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment